You should go link up with Amber and Neely this week... these topics are going to be so much fun!
Day 1: Best Date
Now, I could pick any number of dates over the past 11yrs, such as climbing Mt. Baldy and bringing a picnic lunch, walking the Saugatuck Beach, road tripping 3hrs each way for Sonic (before we had one in MI), or our trips to Chicago for birthday weekends. But there was one date right before J and I were married that tops them all (and for some reason I feel like this is going to make me look super shallow, but oh well).
For our 5yr dating anniversary, which was 6mos before we actually got married, I wasn't planning on anything spectacular. We were closing on our condo in 2mos, and I just figured we would maybe do dinner and then stay in. He had other plans. At noon that day, which was a Friday, he txted me telling me he was picking me up at 5, and that I needed to be dressed formally, with an overnight bag packed. He had already arranged for my hair to be done after work, which I got out at 1 that day.
At 1:30, I headed over to my best friends. She had a dress waiting for me, along with another gift from J. I got ready, and went home to quickly pack an overnight bag, with no idea where we were going. He picked me up and was in a suit. We headed to Grand Rapids, which is only about 20min from where we live.
We got to the Amway Grand Hotel and checked in. He had a room close to the top floor, with an amazing view of the city (btw... it was December 16, 2005, so I knew once the lights came on, it would be a gorgeous view with the snow falling). We then left and went to an amazing dinner at the best steakhouse in town, hence the formal dress. We had a private enclosed table, and the food and wine were amazing.
When we got back to our room, he told me to change, as we were going to be late for our next activity, but that I needed to dress warm. While I was changing, there was a knock at the door. J opened it, and in came a cart full of chocolate covered strawberries and champagne... perfection!
I layered up, and we headed down stairs. When we exited the hotel, there was a horse drawn carriage waiting for us! It was so romantic to be able to ride through the city with the snow falling. About halfway through, the carriage stopped so we could look at the river... there J gave me a diamond and Tanzanite bracelet to match my promise ring. I cried!
After the ride, it was back to the hotel to warm up with chocolate martinis on the top floor, then back to our room.
While this was def a pricey date, that is not the part that makes it the best date. That part is due to the fact that J really thought of me, and it was super romantic, plus unexpected with our wedding coming up. Def a night to be remembered :)
Okay, here are the photos from this week... make sure you go link up with Savanah!!
![]() |
| Tues Nights in the car with Little Man are becoming a favorite... I love how he will chatter right along with me, or even "sing" to the radio! |
![]() |
| I can't believe how tall he is getting... |
![]() |
| Friday Night I went out with my mom and some friends to listen to a favorite band of ours... this is my friend/"roomie" Deb, and that is Jesse, a friend of ours, playing guitar in the background |
![]() | ||
| This guy wanted to dance with my mom and Deb pretty bad! |
![]() | |
| Saturday was Little Man's 2nd Birthday... I picked him up for a couple of hours, and we had Birthday Chickies :) |
![]() |
| Uncle J was trying on hats while shopping for Birthday Party supplies :) |
![]() |
| Today was the party, and someone was obsessed with the punch... |
![]() |
| His cupcake... since he doesn't really like cake, and we didn't know how much he'd eat. He basically licked all the frosting off, then handed me the cupcake... |
![]() | ||||
| He had a Cars themed party, so the cake was perfect! |










HAHA! Who doesn't eat a cupcake?? ;)
ReplyDeleteFirst blogger I've stumbled upon from Michigan!! I am originally from Michigan currently living in California. I saw you mentioned Mt. Baldy too! How cool.
ReplyDeletexo-Leah
http://yoursunnyside.blogspot.com/
Cars is my favorite movie so I would have to say that I LOVE the cake!
ReplyDeletecute pictures!!! Love the cake also!
ReplyDeleteFun times! I like this post! Hope you're well - I've been bad about keeping up with blogs!
ReplyDeleteThe chocolate martinis at the end of the night are my favorite part of the date :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking up with us!